The University of Nottingham Sub Aqua Club organises a number of trips each year for members of all levels of qualification and experience. These include the main Summer and Easter Trips.
In addition to these, Club members are more than welcome to plan their own trips and head off for a few days diving, maybe to see somewhere new. Don’t forget though, that ALL trips need to be planned and ALL need the approval of the Diving Officer.
This page is an attempt to collate various sources of reference information to help you plan a trip.
NOTE: As of 9th Feb 2016 the page is currently “work-in-progress” so please be patient.
Some Basic Rules
- All diving must be conducted in accordance with the BSAC Safe Diving practices, you can find more about them here.
- Any diving you plan should fit with the qualification and experience of the people going. For example, you shouldn’t plan a trip to a location with only 40m dive sites if your are taking newly qualified Ocean Divers.
For full details of what your qualification means, either ask an instructor, or visit the BSAC website – Ocean Diver, Sports Diver, Dive Leader.
- ALL trips need to be planned and need the approval of the Diving Officer.
Trip Planning Checklist
This checklist has been put together as an aid to those running a summer trip but most of the information is equally applicable to any trip.
Download the Summer Trip Planning Guide
Some Useful Resources:
The following links are to various web sites that can provide information to assist with planning a trip.
- Navionics charts: http://uonsubaqua.com/navtest.html
- Admiralty Charts: http://www.visitmyharbour.com/
- Launch sites: http://boatlaunch.co.uk/
- General planning help: http://www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk/
- Tide times: https://www.tidetimes.org.uk/portland-tide-times
- Useful reminder for nitrox/MOD calcs: http://divenerd.com/nitrox-mod/index.html
- Wrecks: http://wrecksite.eu/
- Which Marina: http://www.which-marina.com/
- BSAC dive locations: http://www.bsac.com/divelocations
- Weather: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-inshore-waters
- Misc shore dives: http://finstrokes.com/shore-dive
- Misc inland Sites: http://finstrokes.com/inland-dive
- Trip Planning: https://gusubaquaclub.wordpress.com/diving/organising-a-dive/
This map is an index of launch sites on Skye along with other useful bits such as the location of accommodation, shops, fuel and curry.
Download the Skye Dive Information Map
Other Useful documents to download
- Marshaling slate (print and laminate A3) – Dive Marshaling Slate
- Dive planning/recording (print double sided) – Dive Planning/recording Sheets
- Causality assessment – Incident & Causality Assessment
- Voyage Planning Sheet – Voyage Planning
- Beaufort Wind Scale Made Easy –